We are excited to announce that Healing Traditions of South Louisiana is now available for purchase for $35.00. This book can now be found at the following locations:
- Beausoleil Books, located in downtown Lafayette, Louisiana
- Vermilionville Living History and Folklife Park in Lafayette, Louisiana
- Local offices in Lafayette, LA. These two sites can only accept checks or cash and are open during normal business hours on weekdays:
- Law office of Warren Perrin, 225 La Rue France, Lafayette, Louisiana
- Office of Master Builders and Spec., Inc, 106 Board Road, Lafayette, Louisiana
- The Acadian Museum of Erath, Louisiana or through their website http://www.acadianmuseum.com. The museum is located at 203 South Broadway Street in Erath, Louisiana. The book can also be mailed to anyone interested in receiving a copy by ordering through the Acadian Museum website (there will be a $6.00 shipping/handling fee in addition to the cost of the book). Ordering a book through the Acadian Museum website allows you to pay with PayPal.
- Books Along The Teche in New Iberia, Louisiana
- Longfellow-Evangeline State Historic Site in St. Martinville, Louisiana
This book invites you to connect with Acadians, Creoles, and Native Americans as they strive to maintain and restore good health within their families and communities. Many of the remedies and healthful practices included in Healing Traditions of South Louisiana are decades and even hundreds of years old, and, as you will discover, some are still in use today. This book has two distinct parts that eventually overlap in the stories and remedies that come forth. The beginning starts at “the beginning” of recorded medicine when long ago practices emerged. Advancing to the more recent past you will be swept up in the local tradition of the South Louisiana “Traiteur” or healer, who administered to the restorative health needs of the community with secret prayers passed from one traiteur to another, knowledge of medicinal plants, or the use of both. Yes, traiteurs exist today and still offer prayers and comfort when they are asked and several have been interviewed for this book. The second part of the book introduces you to medicinal plants that contain a myriad of healing properties that are still relieving symptoms and discomfort today. All of the plants are identified by their common and Latin names. Additionally, their descriptions, growing practices, and interesting folklore bring them to life.
Both authors, Mary Broussard Perrin and Beverly Constantine Fuselier are from the area of South Louisiana known as Acadiana. They are traiteurs and also work with healing plants, occasionally “making medicine” when the need arises.
8 thoughts on “Healing Traditions of South Louisiana: Now Available at Select Retailers!”
Has the book Healing Traditions of South Louisiana come out for purchase?
Barbara, Yes it has. We are updating our website shortly. The book is available in Lafayette at 225 La Rue France and 106 Board Road. These locations are both in Lafayette and require a cash or check. The books are also available at Vermilionville gift shop and Beausoleil Books in downtown Lafayette. Thanks for your interest.
Is it possible to order the book online or through mail order ?
Julie, yes, we are mailing the book. If you send me your address we can determine the cost to do so. Thank you for your inquiry
please advise our price and availability of this title for our bookstore. also are you available for a book signing. congratulations on the book. thank you.
The book is $35.00 retail. The authors are available for signings in the area of Acadiana. The book is published and available. We are delivering the books if you are in the area of Acadiana. The minimum order is 6 books. Thank you for your inquiry.
We are in Acaadiana, New Iberia. What is the bookstore discount?
We are still waiting to find out the bookstore price.